Head of Events and Commercial Activities
This is an exciting time to join the Union Chapel, as we work towards a new vision and strategy around being a ‘leading ethical arts centre’. Building on the Union Chapel’s heritage and history, the new Head of Events and Commercial Activities will work towards building this reputation and our financial sustainability, through diversifying income and work towards a balance of income-generating commercial activity and internally programmed events, programmes and festivals. We are looking for an experienced Head of Events and Commercial Activities with a keen interest in events management, programming and income generation for the benefit of the arts, culture, social justice and heritage.
This role will be key in helping to develop and drive forward the Union Chapel’s new phase of income generation and programming, and building our reputation across the arts and entertainment sectors. The Head of Events and Commercial Activities will know how to sell the venue alongside the wider work, to maximise profitability of our commercial activities.
The role will play a major role in our new strategy and vision, and will understand how to balance the ambitious income-generating demands of a popular and well-loved venue with an organisation’s charitable objectives, strong and growing social purpose and community programmes. This is a time of uncertainty, but also a time when the general public want to get more involved in supporting their communities and social action. Increasingly, people want to know the businesses they support are also giving back to the communities. The Union Chapel already excels here, and this position will have a major role to play in how the Union Chapel’s work, ethos and approach is understood as a model of best practice and the go-to ethical venue for the entertainment industry. This role will also inform how the Union Chapel’s approach may be a sector leader for how other music and arts venues can also deliver more social justice and community benefit.
Responsible to: Chief Executive and Chair of Board of Directors/Trustees, UCD
Salary: £42,000 -£45,000 depending on experience
Line Manager to: Events Team (including Artistic, Production, Commercial and Marketing staff)
Purpose: Responsible for managing and developing the organisation’s artistic programme, overseeing production & marketing, maintaining and enhancing existing commercial activities including venue, bar and room hire and investigating and implementing potential new revenue opportunities.
- Strong commercial acumen with the ability to balance commercial activities with an artistic and/or social justice programme
- Minimum 5 years programming experience in a music and/or multi-arts venue, including business planning and implementation of strategy
- Significant senior managerial experience working with a multi-skilled team of 10+ people
- Good understanding of venue management and day-to-day operations
- Demonstrable experience of growing and diversifying commercial income streams
- Strong negotiation skills to agree the best contract terms with promoters and performers
- Strong understanding of event production & promotion
- Strong understanding of customer service best practice
- Knowledge of marketing strategies and their implementation
- Imaginative in terms of exploring and developing new commercial activities and revenue streams
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritise a complex workload
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- High standard of computer literacy (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook)
- Belief in the charitable aims of the organisation and ability to be a strong ambassador of its work and values Desirable:
- Knowledge and experience of funders and funding processes for artistic projects
- Experience and knowledge of beverage operations
- Personal License Holder
- Knowledge and experience of working in a listed building
- Knowledge of ticketing and venue software systems (Spektrix and Yesplan)
- Health & Safety knowledge
– Full time 37.5 hour per week to include weekends, Bank holidays and other unsocial hours where necessary.
– 23 days annual leave per year, increasing by one day every two full years worked to 28 days per annum.
– Six months’ probation, three months’ notice.
To Apply: Please apply with your CV and a covering letter, of no more than two pages, outlining your skills and experiences to meet the requirements of the role, why you want to work for Union Chapel Project and your availability to start.
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Head of Events & Commercial Activities” in the subject line.
Closing date: 10am Friday 13th March 2020
Equality and Diversity
We want to recruit people from a range of backgrounds. We particularly encourage applicants who are currently under represented in our board, workforce and wider sector. This includes but is not limited to candidates who identify as being from Black, Asian and other underrepresented ethnic backgrounds, and candidates who identify as being disabled.
To help us monitor the effectiveness of our recruitment, please complete the Equal Opportunity
Monitoring form. This data is completely anonymous, is stored confidentially by our HR team and will not be seen by the selection panel.
|Salary||£42,000 -£45,000 depending on experience|
|Instructions for how to apply||Please apply with your CV and a covering letter, of no more than two pages, outlining your skills and experiences to meet the requirements of the role, why you want to work for Union Chapel Project and your availability to start. Email to email@example.com with “Head of Events & Commercial Activities” in the subject line.|
|Closing date for applications||13th March 2020|