Head of Events
The Climate Group is responsible for running Climate Week NYC, the biggest Climate Week event in the world. Having trebled in size over the past three years we now have ambitions to build our purpose-led international events and networking capability to a much greater level. We are looking for a leading events practitioner to help us do this. This is a unique opportunity for an experienced events professional to build a global operation for an international NGO, and through our events make a big contribution to accelerating climate action.
About The Climate Group
The Climate Group is an international not-for-profit organisation with a mission to accelerate climate action. Our goal is a world of no more than 1.5oC of warming. We bring together networks of businesses and state and regional governments to shift global markets and policies to this end. We act as a catalyst to take innovation and solutions to scale, and we use the power of communication to build ambition and pace. Our priority is to focus on the greatest global opportunities for change. Founded in 2003, we are headquartered in London with offices in New Delhi and New York.
About the role
Based at our London HQ, the role is responsible for overseeing the planning and delivery of The Climate Group events, most prominently Climate Week NYC, and involves management of multiple stakeholders, key event contractors, events budget development, and management of junior events staff. This senior role will provide strategic leadership for The Climate Group and will work closely with content and commercial teams. It will combine direct oversight over our central world leading events, with responsibility for helping grow our international events program, both directly and through the support of international teams and external agencies.
The position will report to the Head of Climate Week, based in NYC and London, and sits within the Global Communications Team. This position will require international travel.
This is an exciting and critical role in a growing team, taking a lead role on one of the most highly regarded climate action events in the world. This position will need to work confidently with business and government teams at the most senior level. This is a fast paced and demanding role that provides significant opportunities for growth and development within the events, communications and climate change space. As the world prepares to enter the Climate Decade, with just ten years to cut carbon emissions in half, this is an opportunity to create the platform that makes a real difference.
Strategy and Planning
- Working with line manager and other TCG teams lead on the creation and implementation of our global events strategy
- An entrepreneurial approach to reviewing and improving our strategy in line with our commercial, content and engagement objectives
- Lead on all core event related components of Climate Week NYC and deputizing for the Head of Climate Week in from our UK HQ
- Work closely with our commercial team to ensure Climate Week NYC supports event related sponsorship deliverables, as well as providing strategic support for the creation of new commercial opportunities
- Creation and oversight of budgets, working with line manager and other TCG teams, predominantly supporting Climate Week NYC but also other events where necessary
Event Management and Delivery
- Support the creation of an overall project plan for Climate Week NYC alongside the Head of Climate Week and working in collaboration with TCG commercial and programmatic teams
- Develop clear and effective processes to help the global teams deliver and manage successful events, providing strategic leadership that will enable growth, commercial sustainability and content objectives
- Produce event tools, e.g. templates, plans, checklist etc. to support colleagues in delivering events more effectively
- Manage external event agencies and temporary staff – including negotiating contracts, overseeing delivery and evaluating performance
- Proactive in flagging risks, proposing and implementing solutions
Development and Curation
- Lead on development of a central events calendar that will provide a platform for leading businesses and governments tackling climate action to collaborate, communicate and celebrate success
- Proactive engagement with Climate Week NYC workstream team leads, supporting continuous collaboration and support
- Benchmark TCG event management practices, suggesting and implementing improvements
- Explore and develop areas of innovation and growth, including expanding and improving online event opportunities such as webinars and briefing sessions
- Supporting teams in ensuring that TCG events are meeting our fundraising deliverables and objectives
- Working across teams and leading on improvements for delivering events across global teams, providing advice and support to colleagues as supporting and leading on specific initiatives
- Oversee our audience engagement and delegate management process through line management of the Delegate Manager position (new) as well as external partners and agencies as required
- Responsible for setting out goals, conducting appraisals and developing the Events and Audience Engagement Advisor, as well as any other temporary or permanent staff that may report to this role in the future (including positions that may be based overseas)
You will have experience in running events at a senior level and a proven ability to work successfully with external agencies. This is an ideal role for someone looking to broaden their horizons beyond core events management, with significant opportunities to support the curation of events and other activities at a senior level. You will have ambitions to expand your experience on an international basis, and balance creative flair with watertight organisational and project management skills.
- Proven track required in running major events and ability to understand the full scope of event leadership from strategy and development through to on the ground delivery
- Expertise and creative insight in how to produce events, activations and on stage moments that are engaging and informative
- Experience in recruiting, managing and evaluating performance of external events agencies and temporary staff
- Confident approach to working with corporate partners at a senior level
- Understanding of the broader issues relating to tackling climate change
- Strong budget management skills with the ability to negotiate contracts, oversee spend, and report on costs
- Line management experience
- Process and system development for delegate management
- Experience in running events outside of the UK, particularly the US
- Additional languages
- Experience of working with high level speakers (heads of national/subnational governments or global business CEOs)
You will be based in our London head office, in County Hall, which is a five-minute walk from Waterloo station.
Terms & Conditions
This is a full-time permanent position. We offer competitive salary based on experience, plus the following benefits:
- 25 days’ holiday pro rata, plus public holidays
- 10% non-contributory pension scheme following three months’ service
- Private healthcare and Cash Plan on completion of probation
- Life Assurance
- Subsidized gym membership
- Season ticket loan
How to apply
Use the ‘Apply’ button here to apply for this vacancy. Should you require further information, please contact Adam Lake, Head of Climate Week at ALake@theclimategroup.org.
Applications for this position should come in the form of a CV and cover letter. The closing date for submitting your application is 5pm, Monday 13th January 2020.
The requisite eligibility criteria, or work visa to work in the UK are a requirement for this position and no relocation and/or sponsorship costs will be borne by The Climate Group.
|Email address for enquiries||Please contact Adam Lake, Head of Climate Week at ALake@theclimategroup.org.|
|Instructions for how to apply||Applications for this position should come in the form of a CV and cover letter.|
|Closing date for applications||13th January 2020|