Head of Sustainability
The team are looking for a Head of Sustainability to join Birmingham 2022. The role requires leadership, advocacy and coordination across all stakeholders including B2022 functional areas (FA’s), and key B2022 partners such as Birmingham City Council, other local Councils, West Midlands Combined Authority, Transport for West Midlands, DCMS, the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF), the supply chain, community groups and NGO’s and, where required, the international sporting and events community.
- Lead and manage the Organising Committee’s sustainability programme aligned with the Games Partners’ sustainability ambitions.
- Work with Games Partners and appropriate public and third sector bodies to negotiate and embed Games-related benefits activity into partner resourcing and activation plans.
- Develop, direct and deliver the Birmingham 2022 Organising Committee’s sustainability engagement with Games Partners, Stakeholders and Advocates in line with wider Communications and Marketing strategy and campaigns and Games Partner activities.
- Provide leadership and expertise within the Organising Committee for broader sustainability considerations to feature in every decision made from procurement, to workforce, to community engagement through to Games delivery and legacy.
- Liaise with Divisional Directors and Heads of Functional Areas to ensure sustainability is reflected within all programmes of work, especially focusing on operationalising sustainability strategy within procurement and the supply chain.
- Plan for management and recruitment of the Sustainability Team.
- Take part in sustainability engagement activities for the Organising Committee, including representing the Organising Committee at external meetings and events.
- Work closely with Legacy and Engagement leads at Birmingham City Council, all West Midlands and venue-related local authorities and central Government focused on Sustainability.
Skills and Experience Required
Degree qualified in Environmental Management / Sciences / Sustainability (or equivalent).
- Substantial industry experience within sustainability, in recent senior management / leadership roles.
- Proven track record of achievement in sustainability sector (e.g. carbon management), in partnership with other agencies and organisations.
- A successful track record of leading the design and implementation (e.g. with supply chain) of sustainability strategies in a high-profile and complex environment.
- Proven ambassadorial ability and political astuteness, particularly in the context of engaging central and local government and local communities.
- Proven record of past events experience in a similar Sustainability role.
- Member of an appropriate professional qualification such as IEMA.
- Experience in major events.
- Strongly networked locally in the communities of Birmingham and the West Midlands.
Salary: £65,000 – 70,000 per annum
This position is subject to a Basic criminal record check from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Birmingham 2022 is an equal opportunities organisation and Disability Confident employer and we encourage applications from all backgrounds and communities. We are working towards achieving Leaders in Diversity through the National Centre for Diversity. The principles “FREDIE” (Fairness – Respect – Equality – Diversity – Inclusion and Engagement) support our aim of delivering a truly inclusive and accessible games.
As part of our commitment as a Disability Confident employer, we offer a guaranteed interview to anyone with a disability whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post. If you wish for your application to be considered under the Disability Confident scheme, please submit a completed form with your application, which can be found on the Birmingham 2022 jobs site under the current vacancies drop down.
To apply for this role please follow the link and complete the application attaching a single document containing your CV and Covering Letter. Please also submit your disability confident/ reasonable adjustments form (if required).
On occasions where we receive a large number of applications, we may close the advert ahead of the publicised closing date. We would therefore advise that you submit your completed application as soon as possible.
We take your data privacy seriously. Before sending your application please review our applicant privacy notice which explains how we use your personal data. This can be found on the Birmingham 2022 jobs site under the current vacancies drop down.
|Job Category||Coordination, Corporate, ISO20121, Outdoor, Research|
|Salary||£65,000 - 70,000 per annum|
|Instructions for how to apply||Apply online at https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/2322713020/|
|Closing date for applications||07.01.2021|