Product Owner – Events; Digital and Events
QS is a global leader in higher education services. We are the data analytics, performance insight provider and intelligence partner supporting university excellence across the world. Our student recruitment and enrolment solutions enable universities and business schools to connect with talented individuals that are seeking to further their academic progress and career development. Our portfolio of professional services includes consultancy, student mobility and academic partnerships management, and branding solutions.
We publish highly visible and influential rankings of international universities, including the QS World University Rankings® which reaches a global audience of hundreds of millions of people.
QS keeps growing organically, through acquisition and by recruiting top talent across key regions.
Every year, the company helps tens of millions of prospective students and working professionals make the right educational choices and to develop the skills to succeed in their career and life. This is achieved by hosting 350+ global events, as well as offering various products, services and platforms aimed at linking students around the world (Undergraduate, Masters, PhD, MBA, and Executive level) with the educational institution best fitted to them.
QS was recently ranked 21 in The Sunday Times International Fast Track 200, and this is an exciting time to join as we accelerate our digital transformation internally and through our digital solutions for customers.
The Digital and Events division is a newly formed business unit which is going through a digital transformation. With 350 physical events in a year, Covid-19 has required a huge pivot to virtual events – both as pre-scheduled meetings and open fair format. Our objective is to provide potential students with independent insight and guidance to help them find, compare, and get into the right education program and school for them.
Events are a key part of this process for students, and we are looking for a product owner to shape and drive the value proposition of our student recruitment events both in the physical and digital environment.
Key responsibilities include:
- Define our vision, strategy and value propositions for virtual and physical events through gathering and analysing data and insight from clients, potential students, competitors, industry insight and internal stakeholders. We want to create experiences that add real value to our candidates and deliver on our clients investment.
- Communicate this vision and strategy across the business, and in a matrix environment, to motivate peers and colleagues.
- Be innovative and open minded to identify and implement approaches to testing new future growth opportunities and developing innovation plans to enhance our event programme
- Be the customer champion and passionate about capturing and leveraging data to evolve and improve our propositions. Identifying opportunities to provide customer value and differentiate our event products from the competition in different regions
- Be technology and data aware, to explore how technology and insight can enhance our product proposition. Able to scope out and establish the right processes with colleagues to capture data effectively, and work with the tech and operations team to scope out requirements and be the stakeholder with tech for our product roadmap needs.
- Be commercially astute and able to balance institution and candidate needs and define revenue opportunities and GTM plans spanning sales collateral and briefings, pricing strategy, sponsorship proposition etc.
- Working closely with the operations team to define the event calendars and inform and meet revenue and profit targets
- Comfortable defining the GTM approach and working with sales and operational teams to deliver this, creating the right collateral, tools and support to enable achievement of revenue and profitability targets
- Be a people person, with excellent stakeholder management and communication skills. Experienced working in matrix environments and able to communicate and manage to a plan, aligning priorities and activities across marketing, sales, operations & delivery and tech
- A skilled communicator able to easily convey the key differentiators and messages to support the upskilling of sales teams and support in sales meetings where needed.
- Be a great multitasker, able to lead and work on multiple projects simultaneously
The ideal candidate will be:
- Passionate about creating great experiences for our different customer groups, with evidence of defining, launching and managing innovative products
- Open minded and innovative, and striving for improvement and excellence with a proven track record of managing all aspects of a successful product across its lifecycle
- A customer champion, with a clear commercial approach
- Someone with an eye for detail and the bigger picture, and is more than happy to get their hands dirty
- Solutions focused
- Skilled in developing product strategies and effectively communicating recommendations to executive management
- Proficient in influencing cross-functional teams without formal authority
Experience working in the events industry is beneficial, but not essential.
This role is perfect for someone who is passionate about driving change and helping us create the future of student recruitment events. We’re looking for someone who can work collaboratively and innovatively to help us deliver value for our customers (potential students) while driving commercial value for our clients.