Project Manager Climate and Environment
The UK, in partnership with Italy, has been nominated to host the annual UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) negotiations meeting in December 2020 – COP26. As part of our preparations, as well as a growing need to influence UK climate change policy, the UK is developing a UK climate change strategy, covering international and domestic mitigation and adaptation. Defra has an important role to play in contributing to the strategy and shaping associated UK policy proposals and links to the wider environment agenda. Alongside this, Defra leads on the Convention on Biological Diversity, which will also meet in 2020, providing the opportunity to exploit the links between climate and nature. Defra is creating a new SEO role in the Wildlife, International, Climate & Forestry Directorate in the International Environment Conventions 2020 team which supports the strategy, planning and engagement for these two major international summits in 2020 – the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change and the UN Convention on Biological Diversity.
This is an excellent opportunity to work in a high profile and important policy area, within a friendly and supportive directorate.
The role in the International Environment Conventions 2020 team will:
– Help to create, maintain and monitor a planned programme of Defra activities, working closely with other teams and Minister’s Private Offices;
– Assist with establishing the management and design of COP26/CBD DEFRA governance;
– Maintain a central information ‘hub’ on 2020 conventions;
– Manage commissions from Private Offices, Cabinet Office, No10 and other Whitehall Departments
– Co-ordinate and work effectively across Defra to bring together contributions from across the Defra group and beyond.
– Engage confidently with stakeholders and represent the team across Whitehall as needed,
– Brief and advise senior officials appropriately and accurately;
– Be able to respond to evolving events and work within a fast paced and sometimes uncertain environment.
– Line management for at least one member of the team
There may be a requirement for some domestic/international travel.
For this role we are seeking candidates who are experienced in project management and (ideally) have the Prince 2 or equivalent project management qualification.
In addition candidates will need to be able to:
• Engage confidently across Whitehall, working closely with DfID, BEIS, FCO and Cabinet Office
• Support Ministers and senior officials, providing briefing and advice;
• Be comfortable working with uncertainty, work flexibly and at pace and able to respond to events and positions evolve
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Making Effective Decisions
Seeing the Big Picture
Delivering at Pace
• Learning and development tailored to your role
•An environment with flexible working options
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
• A Civil Service pension
For more information, visit https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/jobs.cgi?jcode=1651569
|Email address for enquiries||Email Allen Carmen, email@example.com|
|Instructions for how to apply||Complete the application form and apply online|
|Closing date for applications||24th October 2019|