Sustainability Consultant (Sports Venues and Events)
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
I. Job Summary
Environmentally motivated eco-conscious, customer service driven individual to manage comprehensive sport sustainability projects and perform sustainability assessments. These assessments consist of sustainability evaluation of green building and construction practices, greenhouse gas inventories, supply chain procurement, waste diversion programs, and energy and water efficient resource utilization at customer locations. Upon performing assessments, generates reports indicating overall sustainability baseline, along with a plan and a group of solutions for potential improvements. Has the ability to formulate and implement best practices. Maintains pre-established standards for safety and environmental issues.
II. Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. Other ancillary duties may be assigned.
- Consult with existing, new, and potential customers to develop assessment plans and appropriate potential goals and solutions. These may include waste diversion, energy saving and/or other sustainable initiatives, as well as cost saving opportunities.
- Develop and manage sustainable sports venues, events and conference programs; execute on site, sometimes for extended periods of time.
- Perform full sustainability assessments primarily focused on green building practices, supply chain procurement, waste, energy, water, and greenhouse gas impacts. Prepare final report, including environmental, social and economic analysis, and present conclusions to the customer in a timely manner.
- Develop and manage engagement initiatives and tracking efforts with event organizers, venues, vendors, sponsors, fans and other stakeholders.
- Analyze assessment results and consult with client to identify, design and implement environmental sustainability initiatives and cost saving opportunities and proposals.
- Proposal development, budget development and sales responsibilities for the solutions, services and products derived from initial assessments.
- Conduct customer waste audits.
- Maintain assessment specific equipment and ensure that equipment is ready for scheduled assessments.
- Ensure compliance with client and government regulations when performing assessments and other onsite functions.
- Promote culture of safety by ensuring site personnel are properly trained to perform assigned duties and comply with safety, environmental, federal, state & local regulations.
- Propose customer solutions that are compliant with appropriate local, state and federal regulations.
- Maintains communications and a close working relationship with key WM Market Area personnel.
- Self-educate on current sustainability topics, issues, and trends.
- Other duties as assigned.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
The highest level of supervisory skills that may be required in this job is the management of non-supervisory employees. This includes:
Possible supervision of non-exempt employees and sub-contractors during the project or audit process.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: Bachelor’s degree (accredited) in Environmental Sciences, Engineering, Sustainability, Community Planning or Business, or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and four years of relevant work experience.
- Experience: Eight years of relevant work experience in project/business management. Environmental or services industry experience is required (in addition to education requirement).
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Direct greenhouse gas inventory and management experience – accounting, boundaries or verification
- Experience with LEED, WELL, Living Building Challenge and other building certification programs is preferred
- Experience with third-party sustainable event certifications (Council for Responsible Sport, Golf Environment Organization, UL, TRUE) is preferred
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Knowledge and experience in other sustainability topics including greenhouse gas emissions, waste, energy and water
- Experience working in sports venue and event operations strongly preferred
- Computer and tech savvy – must be adaptable to new programs and systems; video creation and editing experience preferred
- Graphic or architectural design experience preferred
- Up to 40% travel may be required
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Self-motivated and directed with a keen sense of urgency to deliver results
- Experience with public speaking, presentations to large groups and/or training of large groups
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple large projects simultaneously
- Ability to work long days when required by events
- Adept at decision making
- Strong data management skills
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Normal setting for this job is a home office, WM office or project site. Will be required to walk significantly and lift up to 50lbs.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short-Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click “Apply.”
Further details at https://careers.wm.com/professional/us/en/job/WAMAUS19015115ENUSPROFESSIONAL/Sustainability-Consultant-Sports-Venues-and-Events-Remote?src=JB-10087
|Job Category||Audit, Coordination|
|Instructions for how to apply||Apply through company website|