Sustainable Conferencing Officer
The Company of Biologists has an exciting opportunity for a Sustainable Conferencing Officer. The purpose of this new role is to develop and share best practice for sustainable conferencing, enabling biologists to spend more time with their lab and their family or assist those with caring responsibilities, health problems or teaching commitments that limit their ability to travel.
The Sustainable Conferencing Officer will primarily be responsible for piloting and facilitating practical solutions for sustainable conferencing that will support biologists to continue to communicate productively while minimising their impact on the environment. Responsibilities will include:
- Generation of content and maintenance of the Sustainable Conferencing website and twitter account
- Providing expertise to conference organisers through a forum on how to set up sustainable conferences
- Research and drive the development of sustainable conferencing apps
- Manage the external application process for funding development costs for pilot testing technologies
- Critically evaluating the success of projects, disseminating lessons that can be learned
- Encouraging and developing external collaborations
- Collaboration with in-house events team to align our own meetings with sustainability best practice.
- Collaboration with marketing to raise the profile of this initiative
What we are looking for:
· Likely to hold a degree or relevant professional qualification
· An interest in environmental sustainability issues, with substantial evidence of being able to work independently to research and understand relevant legislation and best practice and develop this project.
· Some experience in the areas of sustainability, meeting organisation, community/team building and/or publishing (this could be through professional or voluntary activities and should demonstrate genuine interest and engagement in these areas.
· Ability to navigate and understand the rapidly evolving sustainability landscape
· Practically minded, with a focus on what can be realistically and practically be achieved within a set budget
· Excellent and proactive communication skills, with ability to understand the audience and write clear and engaging communications
- Professionalism in working with others and presenting to colleagues, conference organisers and the communities we serve
- Effective and creative problem solver, able to take a project from A to B
- Solid administration and IT skills – Word, Excel, PowerPoint and some knowledge of WordPress desirable
- Able to liaise with people at all levels
- Self-motivated and able to manage own tasks and work independently with little supervision
- Excellent project Management skills.
This full-time role offers a competitive salary and benefits and is based in The Company of Biologists’ attractive modern offices on the outskirts of Cambridge, UK.
The Company of Biologists (www.biologists.com) is a not-for-profit organisation that publishes three internationally renowned, established journals – Development, Journal of Cell Science and Journal of Experimental Biology – as well as two fully Open Access journals Disease Models & Mechanisms and Biology Open. The organisation has an active programme of charitable giving for the further advancement of biological research, including travelling fellowships for junior scientists and contributions to academic societies and conferences.
Applicants should send a CV along with a covering letter that clearly states their relevant experience, current position, salary expectations and why they are enthusiastic about the post.
Please send applications by 27 March 2020 using the reference SUST2020. Informal queries should be directed to Miriam Ganczakowski on 01223 632853.
- Flexible working hours
- On-site parking
Reference ID: SUST20
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary, Contract
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
Full-time – 2-3 year fixed term contract
Based Histon, Cambridge,UK
|Job Category||Conferences, MICE|
|Instructions for how to apply||Applicants should send a CV along with a covering letter using the reference SUST2020.Apply online at https://www.indeed.co.uk/job/sustainable-conferencing-officer-136b7b45e0f6761e|
|Closing date for applications||27th March 2020|